An agreed, uncontested divorce can be accomplished in the right circumstances, with the right parties and the right Chicago divorce attorney or attorneys. If you are facing divorce, consider the benefit of reaching an agreement and what is necessary to accomplish it.
The goal of the “agreed divorce” or “uncontested divorce” is for the parties to reach an agreement and avoid the following:
- Retaining an attorney that is focused on litigation
- Retaining an attorney that does not have reasonable response times
- A long and lengthy period of financial discovery
- Multiple court appearances
- Significant back-and-forth, revisions and discussions about the proposed settlement terms will increase costs and time in finalizing a Marital Settlement Agreement and/or Allocation Judgment
- Retaining an attorney that is focused on your goal of settlement
- Retaining an attorney that has reasonable response times
- Mutual agreement for an agreed upon exchange of Financial Affidavits and basic supporting financial documents
- One single court appearance for the prove-up (day of your divorce)
- Streamline what you want in regards to allocation of assets and debts so that a Marital Settlement Agreement outlining the terms can be prepared and approved promptly. Similarly, streamline your parenting plan and decision-making so that an Allocation Judgment can be prepared and approved promptly.
On the other hand, the goal of the “agreed divorce” or “uncontested divorce” is for the parties to reach an agreement and implement the following:
The right circumstances are another important component of an agreed, uncontested divorce. The simpler and fewer the issues are, the more likely an agreed, uncontested divorce can be achieved. Sometimes, the circumstances are not amenable to an agreed, uncontested divorce. Long term marriages, child-related issues and maintenance or support are some circumstances that tend to prolong the process. Other factors like complex marital assets or debts can be an obstacle.
If the circumstances are right and both parties are willing, and if the Chicago divorce attorney(s) are responsive, an agreed, uncontested divorce can be accomplished in a timely fashion. Reach out to us, Chicago divorce lawyers, at www.wardfamilylawchicago.com to find out how.